[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] lavc ME parameter handling cleanup & 2 little fixes

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Apr 22 03:56:32 CEST 2002

Hi

On Monday 22 April 2002 03:09, Rémi Guyomarch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm cross-posting since this patch touch both mplayer and
> libavcodec. Hope you don't mind ...
>
> For libavcodec :
> - move Motion_Est_QTab[] to mpegvideo.c, since there's no need to
>   store it as many times as one include "avcodec.h" ;
actually there is no need for this table at all ;)

> - use symbolic names instead of numbers in this array.
good idea, but as i said the table is useless ...

> For mplayer :
> - use Motion_Est_QTab[] from libavcodec so that the "vme" parameter is
>   now quality-oriented (0 = no ME, 1..5 = fastest to slowest, worst to
>   best). IMHO it's way more intuitive than the previous ordering ;
hmm, are u sure full_search outperforms epzs, did u try it? ;) i bet epzs is
slightly better

> - don't use 4MV with B frames as it's buggy right now.
sad but true, its low priority to fix 4mv+b-frames as the gain in compression
rate would be very small, i applied that part to cvs approximately

> - don't use 4MV in "-pass 1" since it's not supported by lavc
>   (same problem as HQ mode). Symptoms : libavcodec refuse to allocate
>   context in MPV_encode_init() and mencoder crash at the fist call to
>   MPV_encode_picture().
ehh, both 4mv & hq work fine in first pass now

[...]

Michael