[MPlayer-dev-eng] [PROPOSAL] mplayer.1 (big) update

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Fri Apr 19 18:19:15 CEST 2002

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 03:15:29AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> ok, it has been commited by gabuciono,
Never thought they would just be commited. ;)

> and reviewed by me now.

> >     - _Please check_ before commiting!
> >       (-sstep, aofile ... obsolete or not?)
> none of them were obsolete!!!

Does sstep work (Someone told me, it doesn't, but donno)?

> ask me before you decide a option to be obsolete, ok?

That's why I said someone (you) should check them.

> >     - Some options need a better documentation and/or hints...
>
> what about -vop and -aop documentation in the manpage? imho would be
> usefull, seems that users only read the manpage, especially as it's handy
> after install.

I first had them included but I have been told to remove them.
So I'll include them again...

> see tech/vop.txt and docs/sound.html

ok.

> > Questions:
> >     - How should the big options be handled, in manpage, in docs
> >       or in both? (mf,tv,aop,ssf,vivo,vop,npp...)
> at least in the manpage. it should be the primary source of options docs.

ok.

> >     - Maybe a non-alphabetical structure would be better.
> >       (I have an old "new" variant of mplayer.1 without it)
> dunno. i don't like this 'general' 'advanced' 'obsolete' options structure,
> it's simply silly. options should be partitioned like codecs options, ao
> options, vo options, input/demux options.

I'll try to restructure (still alphabetic in the new sections?).
But I'll be away on holiday for the next 10 days :(

> esepcially, as codecs and demux options are common wiht mencoder, while
> ao/vo are mplayer-only

> >     - Why not remove all those (defenitve) obsolete options?
(for release)

> which?

vaa_dr, vaa_nodr, o, master, alsa, noalsa, divxq (maybe more)

btw. new options have been added again (jpeg).
Can't the authors give a short explanation of their options?
I still don't know much about vivo, ssf, etc subopts...
(but again, as always, just an idea...)

Regards
    Jonas