[MPlayer-dev-eng] [PROPOSAL] mplayer.1 (big) update

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Apr 19 03:15:29 CEST 2002

Hi,

ok, it has been commited by gabuciono, and reviewed by me now.

>     - _Please check_ before commiting!
>       (-sstep, aofile ... obsolete or not?)
none of them were obsolete!!!
ask me before you decide a option to be obsolete, ok?
anyway, easy to find them, just grep for OBSOLETE in cfg_*.h files

>     - Some options need a better documentation and/or hints...

what about -vop and -aop documentation in the manpage? imho would be
usefull, seems that users only read the manpage, especially as it's handy
after install.

see tech/vop.txt and docs/sound.html

> Questions:
>     - How should the "noflag" options be handled?
>       (Just explain not-default options?)
yes. so i've removed few redundant -no variants

>     - How should the big options be handled, in manpage, in docs
>       or in both? (mf,tv,aop,ssf,vivo,vop,npp...)
at least in the manpage. it should be the primary source of options docs.

>     - Maybe a non-alphabetical structure would be better.
>       (I have an old "new" variant of mplayer.1 without it)
dunno. i don't like this 'general' 'advanced' 'obsolete' options structure,
it's simply silly. options should be partitioned like codecs options, ao
options, vo options, input/demux options.

esepcially, as codecs and demux options are common wiht mencoder, while
ao/vo are mplayer-only

>     - Why not remove all those (defenitve) obsolete options?
which?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team