[MPlayer-dev-eng] planned pre-release date

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Apr 15 22:20:08 CEST 2002

Hi,

Maybe you already know, if not, here is it:
I want to make a pre-release up at apr. 20, saturday this week.
Why?
- it will be the main test of the new mirror at Pontscho's school.
  i doubt that mphq can handle all the traffic of downloading release
  (due to limited bandwith, and statistics from 0.60 downloads)
- some user still prefer 0.60 to cvs
- we need a big testing base - prereleases are usually tried 20 times
  more ppl than cvs, and easier to handle bugreports, as they all try the
  exactly same code...

yes, i know, it's not a nice thing to use the users for the bad job (testing)
but while they are using us to read and explain the manual, why not? :)

ok, now some more serious things.

- what should be the version number? i'm sure we agree it must be >=0.70
  and <=1.00. note that Kabi just released avifile 0.70, the same old
version as 0.60pre versions... so comparing the number of features it shuold
be at leats 0.80
my idea: be it 0.90-pre1, so users will feel that we're close to the goal
(1.0) and we has lots of new features, but this si not the final version yet.

- docs... gabucino doesn't like to talk about it, and i accept he is busy
with converting it to sgml, but it is getting very very VERY *V*E*R*Y*
outdated nowdays...

- changelog. could you help us collection the changes? from cvs log or
maillists or dunno where. we should produce a more or less complete list of
new features since 0.60, to be included in freshmeat, slashdot etc news.

- bugs. are there big bugs? small ones? time to set up a TODO list of
bugfixes and most wanted features (use DOCS/tech/TODO as startpoint).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team