[MPlayer-dev-eng] planned pre-release date
arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Apr 15 22:20:08 CEST 2002
Maybe you already know, if not, here is it:
I want to make a pre-release up at apr. 20, saturday this week.
- it will be the main test of the new mirror at Pontscho's school.
i doubt that mphq can handle all the traffic of downloading release
(due to limited bandwith, and statistics from 0.60 downloads)
- some user still prefer 0.60 to cvs
- we need a big testing base - prereleases are usually tried 20 times
more ppl than cvs, and easier to handle bugreports, as they all try the
exactly same code...
yes, i know, it's not a nice thing to use the users for the bad job (testing)
but while they are using us to read and explain the manual, why not? :)
ok, now some more serious things.
- what should be the version number? i'm sure we agree it must be >=0.70
and <=1.00. note that Kabi just released avifile 0.70, the same old
version as 0.60pre versions... so comparing the number of features it shuold
be at leats 0.80
my idea: be it 0.90-pre1, so users will feel that we're close to the goal
(1.0) and we has lots of new features, but this si not the final version yet.
- docs... gabucino doesn't like to talk about it, and i accept he is busy
with converting it to sgml, but it is getting very very VERY *V*E*R*Y*
- changelog. could you help us collection the changes? from cvs log or
maillists or dunno where. we should produce a more or less complete list of
new features since 0.60, to be included in freshmeat, slashdot etc news.
- bugs. are there big bugs? small ones? time to set up a TODO list of
bugfixes and most wanted features (use DOCS/tech/TODO as startpoint).
A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team
Developer of MPlayer, the Movie Player for Linux - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu
More information about the MPlayer-dev-eng