[MPlayer-dev-eng] R: Real important features of a Media Player

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Apr 11 18:38:53 CEST 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 06:25:00PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > - Usability
> >   I see tons of msgs/day about transparent subtitles, delay plugins while
> > the simpler M$ player HAS DVD menus, screen regulations, zooming and
> > centering.
> > Personally I   H A T E  M$ and love linux, it's tuneability and stability,
> > but for the moment IMHO this is the only choice that can compete with a
> > regular table DVD/SVCD player.
>
> mplayer is not a DVD player. it is a movie player. don't compare it to DVD
> players.
> if you want to enjoy menus, subpics instead of watching the movie, go to
> ogle/xine, they was designed for that purpose...
>
> and yoru mail is VERY offtopic here. it would be even offtopic at -users,
> but here you should send patches not useless critics and nonsense comparison

'Tis very true. :) But for his info, DVDnav support is partially
implemented now and on the way.

On the other hand, I find being able to play DVDs without all those
stupid menus and 'features', i.e. just as a normal movie, to be quite
a desirable feature in itself. :)) I'd love to see a settop box that
could skip all that crap and just play the movie when i pop the dvd
in...

Rich