[MPlayer-dev-eng] A RTP streaming patch for "mplayer"

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Apr 11 04:50:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> message is highly condescending. Personally, if I had the time, I'd
> rewrite the RTP code for mplayer just to get you out of the
> picture...but you're not worth more of my time than it takes to write
> a rude email.

ehh, it was really rude...

there are thousands of ppl working in c++, becaus ethey like it.
i also hate c++, and really many of us hate it, but we should
acept if others like it. the best example of this is Zdnek Kabelac,
the avifile author guy. I haven't seen anyone yet forcing c++ so deep.
I'm sure he even writes hello world in c++ using templates... but it's
ok, if he likes it, it's his business. Once a time someone will rewrite
the code in plain C, just like teh Xien guy did with the directshow lib.
It was really a pain in teh ass, as the directshow lib emulates the
visualc++ virtual methods of a c++ interface in C, but it works.

even the parent of mplayer, mpg12play used c++ mpeg decoder for a while.
i hate it, but at the time:) it was the best lib for that job.

so, in short: we may hate c++, but we shouldn't be so rude with c++ ppl.
especially when _he_ implements a more-or-less clean patch for mplayer,
and not we have to do the mess with c++ as we did with all other c++ code.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team