[MPlayer-dev-eng] A RTP streaming patch for "mplayer"

Fredrik Kuivinen freku045 at student.liu.se
Thu Apr 11 01:18:36 CEST 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 11:01:49PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > >- do NOT remove the old RTP code (maybe put into #ifdfe and make it optiona
> > l)
> >
> > As I noted above, the old code is very limited, and the new RTP code does
> > everything that the old code does, but a lot more.
>
> yes, but the old code
> - doesn't need external libs

Why is this a problem? IMHO code reuse is a good thing. If there are
libraries with suitable licenses we should IMHO use them instead of
rewriting the same functionality or duplicating the code in the
mplayer tree.

> - doesn't need c++ compiler
> - gpl and "shipped" with mplayer

According to http://live.sourceforge.net/ the LIVE.COM Streaming
Media libraries are under LGPL so it shouldn't be a problem. (I
assume the patch is under GPL.)

/ Fredrik