[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] dvd navigation for 20020402

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Tue Apr 2 22:07:09 CEST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 10:09:31AM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> Should I do any things in this patch differently?  Any suggestions to THIS
> patch?  I'd like to get this into CVS since it's a big change, but doesn't
> seem to break anything.
>
> Has anyone else tested these DVD nav patches?  I'd like to not be the only
> person testing it.  ;)

I'm _NOT a developer_ but I tested the DVD nav patches, maybe my
feedback could help...

> - disables caching similar to "-nocache" if using dvdnav
I couldn't watch my dvd without cache, it was just to jerky..

> - Menu highlighting is still a line-drawing hack, but at least something
>   is visible.
I didn't get any highlighting at all (old patch), but that was
probably my mistake...

Something really strange was the binding of the key 'M' (for
menu). It somehow didn't work (?).
N,b,V,m... worked, but not M, it didn't even printed a message.
(no, I didn't mentioned M in input.conf). Probably again my fault.

> - moves event handling into mplayer.c

It is probably again a stupid idea but...
Mplayer starts to become "more interactive" (fullscreen
switching for example and even more with dvdnav).
Wouldn't it be better to somehow create a new "structure" or
whatever to handle all those interactive "events" instead of
putting everything in mplayer.c?
There are _many_ things which could be add to this in future
(look at xine). Example: Selection of other menus is something
_very_ easy to include.
But maybe this is exactly the function of mplayer.c or
the new input system...

Some general ideas/suggestion/stupid question for the future
(You don't need to answer them, please ignore them ):
    - Why not restructure the mplayer-dir as in mplayerxp ?
    - Why not rename co main to co mplayer (it's done like this
      nearly everywhere) ?
    - How about just forcing libvo2 or other new stuff ?
    - All this could for example be done after a new release
    -> For example: You could _just_ include libvo2 stuff in the cvs-tree

I'll test DVD nav patches in future too and will try to avoid
stupid questions...

Regards
    Jonas