[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] DVD NAV work continues...

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 1 04:32:09 CEST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 03:21:41AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Anyway, in the meantime I just ripped the DVD to mpeg4 with the new
> > 2pass libavcodec code. It worked really well for the most part, except
> > it tried to make a 10 gig file when I specified the bitrate on the
> > command line with the second pass. Removing this fixed it, but the
> > resulting file was somewhat smaller than it should have been with the
> > requested bitrate from pass1....still looked great though! I'm going
> > to try to figure out what's up with this strangeness...
>
> basic rule of 2pass: do not change encoding parameters between pass 1 and
> pass 2!!! including vme, bitrate etc.

Well that's the rule that got me in trouble. I had used bitrate=700000
for the first pass, then if I left that on the command line when doing
pass 2, everything went crazy. Removing it fixed things, but that
makes no sense at all, since looking at the source, omitting bitrate
should just give bitrate 800000.