[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] DVD NAV work continues...

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 1 02:50:29 CEST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 02:05:13AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > during interactive scenes. Why? because without caching dvd playback is
> > > very sucking jerky...
> >
> > that's funny, cache has never seemed to help dvd playback for me. are
> > you sure your had dma, interrupt unmasking, etc enabled?
> >
> > speaking of jerky dvd playback tho, subjectively mplayer seems to have
> > gotten a lot slower at playing dvds sometime between the mid winter
> > and now. i used to be able to watch dvds fine on my k6-2/450, but now
> > it's too slow to play anything but animation it seems. i keep meaning
> > to look into this...maybe i will sometime soon. (and no i didn't
> > switch to a broken version of libdvdread... :)
>
> Several possible reasons
> - interlaced mpeg calls vo->draw twice (will be fixed soon)

That could definitely be it! Memory throughput is the #1 performance
issue on my machine it seems. Do you know when this change was made,
so I can compare before and after to confirm that this is the problem?

> - runtime cpudetect enabled by default
> - vfm=5 somewhere?
> - gcc upgrade?
> - kernel upgrade?

Nope.

> Try to find teh date when it gots slower!

Yep, that's what I plan to do....when I get around to it... :)

> Ah, and try with -cache ;)

Yeah, i've tried with and without.

Anyway, in the meantime I just ripped the DVD to mpeg4 with the new
2pass libavcodec code. It worked really well for the most part, except
it tried to make a 10 gig file when I specified the bitrate on the
command line with the second pass. Removing this fixed it, but the
resulting file was somewhat smaller than it should have been with the
requested bitrate from pass1....still looked great though! I'm going
to try to figure out what's up with this strangeness...

In any case, it's been a long time since I really used libavcodec for
serious encoding. The progress is VERY impressive, and 2pass makes it
even better! Congrats to you and to all the people working on ffmpeg!

Rich