[MPlayer-dev-eng] Audio synchronization

Vladimir Kushnir vkushnir at Alfacom.net
Fri Sep 21 23:57:54 CEST 2001

Hi,

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Eric Anholt wrote:

> I've recently discovered mplayer through the FreeBSD mailinglists, and was
> trying it out on a divx movie I have.  Of course, the first thing that bit me
> was cpu detection (It said my Celerons had 3dnow support.  Errors followed).
> I've been working since then off of a July 8 pre5 tarball trying to add
> runtime cpu autodetection, and I've got cpuid working correctly on my machine
> now (I'll try on a P3, too), and am working autodetecting kernel support for
> MMX2/SSE.  It's using function pointers and template headers rather than if
> statements, and I have quite a few to go still, but the process is fairly
> mechanical.

Well, it detects everything correctly here (P3, FreeBSD-CURRENT). BTW, the
simplest way I now of is to "cat /compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo" if it's
mounted.

> However, when I was able to download CVS and work against that, the audio on
> my movie is totally out of sync, late by a little over a second.  Before I
> could start it up and it matched almost perfectly.  The patches I have to the
> system are almost the same between the tarball and the CVS, and I'm running
> the same commandline (tried a few different audio and video options on both
> of them), but the newer CVS is just out of sync.  Have other people seen this?

Don't know again. As far as I saw mplayer loses sync only when CPU is too
week (nVidia card here, so no HW acceleration). For simpler DivX it keeps
sync. Could you try something a bit less straining, like anims or
something instead of full-range movies (or faster computer)?

Regards,
Vladimir

--
Vladimir Kushnir - vkushnir at Alfacom.net