[Mplayer-dev-eng] libdvdcss

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Sep 9 16:41:53 CEST 2001

Hi,

> On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 08:08:29AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > We had a discussion about libcss and libdvdcss some weeks ago,
> > but nobody could show an argument for libdvdcss beside the
> > better portability.
>
> "MPlayer - the media player for linux". Yes, it seems portability

To be exact: MPlayer - the _movie_ player for linux

it isn't media player, as it supports only video content (no audio-only
yet), and it's optimized for long, high-res movies, not for various
old small obsoleted codec .avi .mov etc files can be found on fun pages
and other sites. most of them are playable, but we has no time and
interest for improving support of those.

> isn't that all important, just make sure it compiles on most Linux
portability is important, but isn't maintained by core team.
anyway, patches are welcomed and applied, until they don't broke compilation
on linux.

> distributions. Does anyone know how well VideoLAN's DVD support
> compares to MPlayer's? Because VideoLAN just sucks.
dunno. someone should add libdvdread 0.9 support to mplayer very near soon.
btw it isn't mplayer-only problem, i got many mails from the linux-dvb list
too, about libdvdread incompatibility...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu