[MPlayer-dev-eng] What is this=

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Wed Oct 31 19:22:27 CET 2001

Hello, Arpi!
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 20:56:11 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Hello, Jesus!
> > On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 19:39:35 +0100, you wrote:
> >

> > > Checking for libffmpeg.so ... no
> > >
> > > Grepping in the whole DOCS dir and in the list (I have archives
> > > for more than 5 months) does not give me any clue.
> > >
> > > I will check in the configure file to try to guess, though.
> > >
> > It's new possibility to compile mplayer with dynamically linked ffmpeg stuff.
> > I've added it not long ago.
> > So now you can omit libavcodec stuff in mplayer but if you have installed
> > libffmpeg.so you'll get the same features.
>
> btw,
> 1. what about postprocessing? it's enabled only if compiled with mplayer's
>   config.h
It's only thing which is losed when you compile it as shared object.
But it can be solved if mplayer will splitted on parts ;)
We should perform same changes in mplayer project and comopile postproc as shared object too ;)
> 2. what about symbol conflicts? libac3 etc. (ffmpeg compiles them)
I have no such conflicts :)

> 3. what about speed? (using .so is extra register)

What you mean as extra register - EBX?
There are two way to build shared object:
1. Position independed code aka PIC
2. Relocatable shared object (like classic DLL from Win32, OS/2, QNX at end);)
In second case there no speed lose, but .SO will eat some more RAM against of first case ;)