[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fwd: Kudos for MPlayer !

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Oct 18 13:33:26 CEST 2001

--------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Stephane Marteau <smarteau at eso.org>
To: arpi at thot.banki.hu
Subject: Kudos for MPlayer !

Dear A'rpi,

this message is just to send you (and all MPlayer developers of course)
a big "Bravo !" for this excellent piece of software. I have compiled
and installed it yesterday and was able to read a DivX movie right away,
with superb result. It of course also reads flawlessly mpeg clips, but
you know that of course. I haven't been able to try it with DVD
because... well, I have to confess I don't have a DVD player on my
machine (I know, how pathetic). Anyway I will keep on following the
development of MPlayer with great interest, and recommend it to friends.

This is the first video player I've tried for Linux which seems that
stable and very usable to me, even on my quite low-key Celeron 500 box,
with TNT card -- ahem... isn't it time for a big upgrade... ? Yes ! Even
the job on the GUI is already impressive: simple, but reliable. Some
features do not work for me (playlist) but I'll have a closer look to
understand why. Now I have to confess that, yes, yes, I did compile it
with the nasty, Mandrake-delivered gcc, labeled 2.96, and NO, NO, I will
definitely not complain or anything: the warnings and explanations in
the documentation of mplayer are perfectly clear about this. I just feel
lucky that it works for me, full stop. I also have the "nvidia's binary
shit" installed. Now I start to feel you're already considering me as a
"bad user", sorry. So that you try to forgive me, I would be glad to
bring some modest help, for example translating your documentation in
french (by the way I'm french !), if nobody has done this already, and
if it helps. I can't promise it will be done over the week-end, but I'll
try my best to deliver it rapidly -- although I'll be on holiday at the
end of next week.

Once again, a big thank you, and long life to MPlayer.

Best regards,

Stephane Marteau.

   ____________  Stéphane Marteau - DMD/USG     mailto:smarteau at eso.org
  / __/ __/ __ \ EUROPEAN SOUTHERN OBSERVATORY  http://www.eso.org
 / _/_\ \/ /_/ / Karl-Schwarzschild Strasse 2   Phone:+49 89 3200 6705
/___/___/\____/  D-85748 Garching/Munich        Fax:  +49 89 3200 6562