[MPlayer-dev-eng] RPMs for MPlayer-0.50

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 12 10:02:16 CEST 2001

On Friday, 12. October 2001 08:00, Christian Roessner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I created MPlayer-0.50-20.i686.rpm and MPlayer-0.50.src.rpm. I could not
> find any RPMs on the website, so I built them. Does anyone like them? (Has
> someone else built them before?)
>
> You can find my versions at:
>
> www.roessner-online.de (Forwarding to my personal PC)
> Section Download Center -> Linux -> sec_or_updt_72
>
> The binary is built on SuSE Linux 7.2
>
> If there is something wrong with the src.rpm, tell it to me, I will fix it.
> If you like the RPMs, maybe you would like to include them on your website.
> Just modify the src.rpm as you need it.

Please, we strongly discourage binary packages of mplayer as they
a) won't work on systems with different cpus
or
b) will run very slow because of disabled optimizations

This is because most of mplayers assembleroptimizations are choosen at
runtime.

Src.rpms are ok if thex properly use the configure script from mplayer to
detect cpu/system features.

Btw. this is also stated in mplayers documentation.

--
Best Regards,
	Atmos