[MPlayer-dev-eng] warning "should we use SIGUSR1 or SIGUSR2 on linux, bsd"

pl p_l at gmx.fr
Wed Oct 10 14:19:16 CEST 2001

Hi,

A few notes on a warning:

"psignal.h:45:2: warning: #warning should we use SIGUSR1 or SIGUSR2 on
linux, bsd, ... too?"

Linux Kernels till 2.0.x only had 32 signals => LinuxThreads used
SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 kernel 2.0 for its internal working.

Starting at 2.2, they got 32 more signals (RT) and the LinuxThreads lib
uses 3 RT signals (IIRC) leaving SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 available to the
user.

I mention LinuxThreads since there are 2 pthread_create() in the source:
it should be safe to use those 2 signals on kernel 2.2.x +.

So maybe adding a warning in the configure, if ever some run it
successfully on a prehistorical 2.0.x ? :)

I don't know for other OSes.

My $0.02.
--
Regards,