[MPlayer-dev-eng] FIX THIS! (Was: Re: [Mplayer-cvslog] CVS: main/DOCS documentation.html,1.62,1.63)

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Oct 1 22:48:34 CEST 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:25:24PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
> So then modify the License terms in the code and specify exactly the mplayer
> license.
>
> It is ok if you do not accept bug reports from a binary (it does not make
> any restrictions on the distribution) and you can even add a note in the
> Documentation tree specifying that you do NOT want a bug report if you
> didn't compile it yourself (or in the sig9/15 handling code).
>
> One more thing that should be done is checking that every single piece of
> code included in the mplayer tree is GPL. No exceptions. Any other borrowed
> code should be marked as non-free.

Yes :( Imho it's breaking GPL to use GPL and non-GPL parts mixed together
in low level (in higher level it's another question: see non-free apps
uses Linux kernel int 0x80 interface and so on). So if mplayer wants not
to cross laws it shouldn't use both of GPL and non-GPL sources together.
The main problem is OpenDivx.

Arpi: By the way, OpenDivX. If I don't want to compile in OpenDivX can I
ignore it (not compile in) _IF_ someone would write a postprocess code
instead of the one can be found in OpenDivX or has it got other features
as well used in MPlayer? Because imho it's the only problem with license.
Then we can convert license of mplayer to fully-GPL with a small comment
to users that we don't accept bug reports, and any questions about binary
distributed versions.

- Gabor

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!