[MPlayer-dev-eng] FIX THIS! (Was: Re: [Mplayer-cvslog] CVS: main/DOCS documentation.html,1.62,1.63)

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Oct 1 20:32:52 CEST 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 08:19:27PM +0200, André Dahlqvist wrote:
> Winner of tha face compo <gabucino at mplayer.dev.hu> wrote:
>
> > -<P>MPlayer is distributable under the terms of the <A HREF="http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html">GNU GPL</A>, EXCEPT the OpenDivX code.</P>
> > +<P>MPlayer is distributable under the terms of the <A
> > +HREF="http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html">GNU GPL</A> (but distributing
> > +binary packages if <B>forbidden</B>!), EXCEPT the OpenDivX code which has its
> > +own license.</P>
>
> Like A Mennucc1 <debian at Tonelli.sns.it> pointed out, you guys can't do
> this! Either you're GPLed or you're not. If you do not want to allow
> distribution of binaries, then you're not GPL. Please fix this ASAP.

OK, then let's say:

License of mplayer is MPlayer-License which is basically the same as GPL
but forbides distributing binaries.

BTW ...

IMHO it would be great if we can say:

"MPlayer is GNU/GPL except OpenDivX"
but with the following comment:
"We do not accept any bug reports, performance questions etc if you run
mplayer distributed in binary form"

- Gabor

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!