[Mplayer-dev-eng] licenses , Re: Mplayer in Debian

A Mennucc1 debian at Tonelli.sns.it
Mon Oct 1 17:51:47 CEST 2001

hi

I am a Debian mantainer, and I have discussed with
 Dariusz Pietrzak <dariush at ajax.umcs.lublin.pl>
about doing a debian package of mplayer.
The biggest problem being that it seems that it is forbidden
to distribute a binary of mplayer.

Well guys you have a BIG problem here about the license.
You state in the web page
 http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/info.html

'License:
 MPlayer is GPL. The included (optional) OpenDivX alpha 48 codec isn't.
 Creating binary packages for yourself is
 allowed. Distributing binary packages of compiled MPlayer code
 is FORBIDDEN!
'

this is nonsensical. Verbatim from the GPL-2:
'  3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:....
'

so either
1) mplayer is distributed according to GPL, and then
 'Distributing binary packages of compiled MPlayer code is allowed,
  but it is stronlgy discouraged due to performance issues.'
or
2) mplayer is NOT distributed according to GPL; then please specify
 which license it is subject to.

please make up your mind; then I will happily discuss about
other packaging issues  (actually, I like run-time function pointers most)

thanks for your attention

a.

--
A Mennucc
 "? un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Renato Carotone)