[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fwd: Re: WarpVision/MPlayer - what to do?

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 25 01:01:35 CET 2001

Forwarded FYI with permission of Steven.

Subject: Re: WarpVision/MPlayer - what to do?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 22:56:46 -0800
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53 at earthlink.net>
To: atmos4 at mplayerhq.hu

In <167Tq6-0KjogqC at fmrl00.sul.t-online.com>, on 11/24/01

   at 04:45 AM, Felix Buenemann <atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net> said:
>It is a problem, because how many os/2 users do you think are going to
>install a gcc enviroment in order to compile mplayer?

How is this different than the situation for Linux users?

FWIW, with eCS, installing gcc is pretty much drag and drop.

>I might be wrong, but I _think_ that warpvision developers where not that
> unaware of the licensing stuff, but rather wanted to get the fame for
>doing  the first divx player for os/2 and so kept mplayer inheritance in
>secret.

Well, it would be pretty hard for them to be first, since they were
already a distant second and remain there based on my casual testing. :-)

 - WarpMedia existed before WarpVision and seems to work better than
anything the
   WarpVision team has yet produced
 - Prior versions of WarpVision appear to be based on a different code
base.
   These versions required the Odin runtime and used pure Win32 codecs.

In any case, as I've told them in variour emails, the errors are all
theirs to correct and given the years of experience they claim to have I
was not obvious to me how they could have made the errors in the first
place.

Another FWIW, I looked at their source and it appears that they still
don't have the copyright and licensing attributions entirely correct.
They are missing the readme for the non-GPL licensed source.

Regards,

Steven

"Steven Levine" <steve53 at earthlink.net>  MR2/ICE 2.29g #10183 Warp4/FP11.5
www.scoug.com irc.webbnet.org #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)