[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer licensing [and lotso other stuff as I'm typingSat Nov 24 12:52:16 2001

Gabucino gabucino at mplayer.dev.hu
Sat Nov 24 12:21:43 CET 2001

It's the Question that drives us, Arpi :

Milyen volt Dunaujvaros? ;)

> > > 1. Do we want to make it fully GPL?
> > Should be.
> Why? As you see, being non-GPL helps us more now :)
> (as they can't use demuxer code in os2 version as its' non-gpl)
Hm..

> > > IMHO the best thing is to rule out external non-GPL code from mplayer and
> > > make it fully GPL, because then we can be fully assured of our code being
> > > protected by it and with it by the FSF.
> > Agreed.
> Disagreed.
Ok, I won't question you :)

> > Yes :/
> No.
> Until we make it possible to create usefull binary packages, we shouldn't
> change the license. And after it's done, i'm unsure it should be GPL. maybe
> other licenses (BSD?) are better for our needs.
I'll check BSD license. Can we distribute GPL code with BSD license?

> > > So the binary thing is nothing we have really control, so we shouldn't fight
> > > against it.
> > Yes.. :(
> I think we have control, by denying support and making it illegal.
Err.. I understand, but this is what we really shouldn't (we can, but
_shouldn't_) do for a long time.

> most of current users (who are able to compile it) don't include it.
> why do you expect it from apt-get install lamers?
Yes I didn't really mean it :)

> Maybe we should make a multimedia presentation with charts showing speed of
> selfcompiled and binary package versions and play it every time the player
> is started :)
We always wanted some simple demo video included :)

> > > Btw. we should remove stuff like the "GPL sux" from our public homepage, this
> i agree
> and it was put out without my permission...
Sorry. When I told you, you didn't object :)
Should I remove it?

> > > And we should aswell stop to insult other people on the page, there are
> > > better ways to say that other people did something bad, without insulting
> Agree. You should remove all these news entries, and display only one
> describing facts and current status of warpvision thingie.
> And current news entry is bad, because our problem is not (only) hiding the
> source, it's hiding the copyright.
The red star means Heineken, btw :)
I'll change te stuff.

--