[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer licensing [and lotso other stuff as I'm typing...]

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Sat Nov 24 11:18:31 CET 2001

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Felix Buenemann wrote:

> Second prob you thought about with binary builds was that it would make
> people think of mplayer as shit, because pre-compiled stuff would be slower,
> but there is a very simple solution to this:
> Simply add a printf at mplayer startup that states: "If you are experiencing
> performance problems, please read DOCS/SPEED"

I see code in mplayer.c that looks for MMX, SSE etc.  Why not just add
some ifdefed bits in there along the lines of:

#ifndef USE_MMX (or whatever)
if (gCpuCape.hasMMX)
  fprintf(STDERR, "Warning: your CPU has MMX but mplayer was not compiled
     to use MMX acceleration - performance will be much better if you
     recompile on this system");
#endif

Steve