[MPlayer-dev-eng] ao_plugin adding command line options

Anders Johansson ajh at atri.curtin.edu.au
Sat Nov 24 08:43:23 CET 2001

Hi,

This is a proposal of how the command line switches/cfg file options
for the audio out plugins could look. I wanted to post this before
making any changes to make sure it won't interfere with the mplayer
design strategy. My idea is as follows:

One switch called "aop" for telling the plugin interface which plugins
should be used and what order they should be executed in. The option
will consist of a comma separated list of plugin names. If the option
is present the audio data will be sent to ao_plugin which will filter
it through the specified plugins and then send it on to the ao_xxx
driver (where xxx is the HW interface one wants to use). If this
switch isn't present the audio data will be sent straight to the
ao_xxx driver and ao_plugin will never be called.

The individual plugins will also need switches. These are going to be
called "aop_xxx" (where xxx is the name of the plugin). These switches
will then have sub-options to define individual parameters, example:

aop_rsamp:freq 44100

would make the output frequency 44100 Hz for the resampling plugin.

Also I have been thinking of where to add the switches whether to add
them to cfg-mplayer.h or to a new file (cfg-audio_out.h or something).
Perhaps adding them to cfg-mplayer.h for now and if there are too many
move them to a new file later on.

I will wait 24 hrs for comments before I commit anything to the cvs.

Cheers,
//Anders