[MPlayer-dev-eng] libac3 in mplayer - how much forked?

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Fri Nov 23 19:40:46 CET 2001

Hi,

Mplayer has its own libac3.  This is presumably libac3 aka liba52.
How synchronized is it,  how long ago forked?

I ask because liba52 now supports a full range of downmixes:

A52_CHANNEL  : Dual mono. Two independant mono channels.
A52_CHANNEL1 : First of the two mono channels above.
A52_CHANNEL2 : Second of the two mono channels above.
A52_MONO     : Mono.
A52_STEREO   : Stereo.
A52_DOLBY    : Dolby surround compatible stereo.
A52_3F       : 3 front channels (left, center, right)
A52_2F1R     : 2 front, 1 rear surround channel (L, R, S)
A52_3F1R     : 3 front, 1 rear surround channel (L, C, R, S)
A52_2F2R     : 2 front, 2 rear surround channels (L, R, LS, RS)
A52_3F2R     : 3 front, 2 rear surround channels (L, C, R, LS, RS)

A52_LFE      : Low frequency effects channel. Normally used to connect a
               subwoofer. Can be combined with any of the above channels.
               For example: A52_3F2R | A52_LFE -> 3 front, 2 rear, 1 LFE (5.1)

A'rpi - I see posts from you in the list archives - some discussion about
remerging etc.

Given that I want to extend the libac3 in mplayer with more downmix
options, I not sure how the possible remerge back into liba52 sits with
that...

Steve