[MPlayer-dev-eng] Opensource divx4!

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Fri Nov 23 08:40:44 CET 2001

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Vladimir Kushnir wrote:

> Hi all,
> If anybody's interested (and knows more than me) please take a look at
> http://www.videocoding.de
> They continue development of opendovx project where ProjectMauo left it.
> The decore lib doesn't seem to be changed much (mplayer
> recognizes it as divx4 and I can use this as such but it isn't
> optimized) but with their encore2 library I can at least compile and ryn
> mencoder under FreeBSD (after some minor tweaking). So now I can
> recompress some of my old VCDs into divx4. BTW, mencoder's doing beter job
> at recompression than everything else I tried - thanks, A'rpi!

Hi,

If you are not in a hurry, wait another week or so and then take new
CVS of XviD (which is the new name of that project), there was to be a
bug in Coefficient prediction that has been eleminated, but the new
code is not fully tested yet, and we will switch to PMVfast as a new
Motion Estimation routine. That will make definitely higher quality and
most probably make things much faster, too. (I get almost double speed
than DivX4 for full DVD-res at Quality 3 which equals DivX4 Quality 5 in
quality/filesize.
Memcoder user don't listen now: I also wrote a xvid-exportmodule for
transcode, but it's not in the transcode-source yet. Next week,
too. Promised...

gruel

--
Christoph H. Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Raum 15 Tel. (0228) 73-4708 | nell erstellt und bedarf