[MPlayer-dev-eng] conf2

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Nov 19 02:16:05 CET 2001

Hi,

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 08:13:33PM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
> > Quick note: --target and --enable-static[=...] still needed
>
> Static support is in preliminary stage.  Some libraries are misdetected
> (test is OK even with -static but global link fails :/) I can't really
> figure out why right now... so feel free to investigate this as I will
> have less spare time these days ;)

i think static linking has very low priority.
it just needs for gabucino to compile binary for his 386 osr what...

> My static libs may suck but then tests should fail and don't.  When
> MPlayer link phases spits 'undefined reference to BLAH' then
> autodetection has failed. Maybe some better C tests would do it...

static linking means for gcc: link only functions which are really called.
so gcc test.c -lwhatever never will fail, until test.c actually uses
functions of whatever.
i think there is a workaround:
gcc -rdynamic test.c -lwhatever

-rdynamic forces gcc to link every public symbols as they may be called from
dyn linked libs only at runtime.

anyway -rdynamic requires for xanim support as well at final linking stage.

> --target support from C1 has been ported to C2. I don't plan to add more
> support right now so if you eagerly need it, feel free to add it :)

ok. i'll do now file swapping/renaming at CVS.
configure -> configure.old (will be removed soon)
configure2 -> configure

i hope it won't cause cvs versioning conflicts...
(version of c2 much bigger than c1, so it shouldn't)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu