[MPlayer-dev-eng] The future of XXX_VID drivers

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sat Nov 17 19:36:33 CET 2001

Hello!

After implementing of radeon_vid I have some suggestions about future of
these drivers family.
1. I've found that struct mga_vid_config_t should be expanded by vendor_id.
2. It's gladly accepted to add new ioctl request: MGA_VID_QUERY_FORMAT
3. In case when format is not supported, IMHO mplayer butnot vesa r vo_mga
should decide what is best format in this case (looking at existing yuv2yuv or
yuv2rgb stuff).
4. IMHO word MGA is obsolete now and it would be better to raname it ;)
5. What about hw support of saturation, brightness and gamma correction?
IMHO these things are same as audio equalizer (which should be implemented too).
6. Driver answer should be improved. (Currently if driver doesn't support some format
vo_vesa writes : Your mga_vid_driver version is incompatible with mplayer
that is lie.

Best regards! Nick