[MPlayer-dev-eng] [doc] lame compilation + lame & mencoder errors with buggy compilers

André Dahlqvist andre.dahlqvist at telia.com
Fri Nov 16 17:29:38 CET 2001

pl <p_l at tfz.net> wrote:

> Hint 1
> ~~~~~~
>   Installation of lame:
>     configure [options]
>     make test
>
>  If you've got a value above 30 then something is wrong with your
>  optimizing compiler.

cmp -l testcase.new.mp3 ./testcase.mp3 | wc -l
    415

So something must be *really* wrong with my compiler then.

andre at sledgehammer:~$ gcc --version
2.95.4

(That's a prerelease that Debian takes from gcc's stable branch. It's
always been very solid for me. I've compiled numerous kernels and
mozillas with it.)

With gcc-3.0.2 I get the value 408.

> Try :
>     export CFLAGS=-O1    #or export CFLAGS=-O0 if it does not work
>     configure [options]
>     make test

With CFLAGS set to -O1 I get:

cmp -l testcase.new.mp3 ./testcase.mp3 | wc -l
     20
--

André Dahlqvist <andre.dahlqvist at telia.com>