[MPlayer-dev-eng] vo vesa no longer works

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Fri Nov 16 17:20:32 CET 2001

Hello, Felix!

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:36:46 +0100 you wrote:

> On Friday, 16. November 2001 15:59, you wrote:
> > Hello, Felix!

> > > works now, but I get a colored checkerboard pattern in the areas where
> > > the black bars should be, looks like a test image that is not cleared by
> > > vo_vesa.
> >
> > Please run mplayer in non verbosed mode: without -v keys
> > It's for testing only
> ok log is attached.

???
> Btw. if I redirect mplayer output to file like /dev/null screen is black, but
> otherwise it's no cleared. And it would be nice if you could hide the
> blinking cursor from the framebuffer console, if I use 1024x768 (ie same res
> as framebuffer). Maybe use vo_fbdev code that switches tty to graphics mode
> if -fs is specified.

This is possible only on LCD and DFP which are always in graphics mode.
But currently I have no solution to suppress that. (Simply I have no LCD
and those S...D BIOSes).

> Btw. vo_vesa in 1024x768x16bpp with software scaling from 640x272 divx is as
> fast as equivalent with -vo xv (but maybe I can't compare as I've hacked my
> savage xvideo driver to use VSYNC, while -vo vesa does not wait for vertical
> retrace, which causes tearing effects).
If use use double buffering in YUV mode of xv and sungle buffering in RGB mode of VESA
then probably you'll more fast decoding with VESA on modern CPUs.