[MPlayer-dev-eng] another reason why binary packages for MPlayer are currently Evil

pl p_l at tfz.net
Fri Nov 16 13:05:10 CET 2001

Hi,

(I post this to -dev since License is always a flamebait on -users and
it rather concerns developers indeed...)

Gabucino recently modified the "users against developpers" recently and
I think we should modify the licensing stuff to have a License basis and
not tech basis for the no-binary-only policy.

The fact is that 'people want binary packages'...  We can't avoid that,
even though there are _real_ and _justified_ technical reasons.

I think something like that should be added somewher in DOCS or maybe in
a LICENSE file.

" MPlayer describes the sourcecode. It contains several files with
  incompatible licenses especially on the redistribution clauses.
  As source files, they are allowed to coexist in a same project.

  Therefore, NEITHER BINARIES NOR BINARY PACKAGES MUST EXIST SINCE SUCH
  OBJECTS BREAK LICENSES. PEOPLE WHO DISTRIBUTE SUCH BINARY PACKAGES ARE
  DOING ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES.

  So if you know somebody who maintains a binary package then forward
  her/him this text and (ask him to) contact us.
  What (s)he does is illegal and IT IS NO LONGER MPlayer, but _his/her_
  mplayer.

  If it breaks, it is his/her fault. Don't come and cry on the MPlayer
  mailing lists, you will most likely be blacklisted.
"

It's inspired by the lame/notlame stuff, when it still used ISO sources,
and by the recent DeCSS case.

So: let's ask the evil-package-mainteners-from-outer-hell-distros to
rename their packages to another name (notmplayer ?) because of this
reason and not because of tech issues they don't seem/want to
understand.

My point is GPL does not allow such binary to be redistributed because
of the conflicting licenses - but sourcecode is (Free Speech vs DMCA in
US for instance).  So, currently MPlayer can be nothing else but a
source code only release.

I may be wrong since IANAL but it looks a better reason IMHO.

(BTW miacos(*) would sound horrible and we'll get sued by Apple(tm) :))
(*): Mplayer Is A Collection Of Sourcecode)

--
Best regards,
  IANAL but pl