[MPlayer-dev-eng] About the future - libvo2...

Ivan Kalvatchev iive at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 11:46:30 CET 2001

//subtitles, query, comments
I think that libvo2 drivers have nearly compleate set
of function. I think that only one function should be
added - for HW Subtitle support. It may be and through
the control interface.
I am sure that you know that gl,dxr3,dvb are not the
only one that can do the trick, XV overlays with key
color could be used to render subtitles (xv).
I like the current format of subtitles one Gray and
one Alpha image, but i think that it is good idea to
support few formats as dvb,dxr3 may have it's own (ala
DVD)
Arpi mention about render once OSD, i understand it as
making one bitmap for all subtitles. So i would like
to discuss, should it be few bitmaps (x,y,w,h)( one
for play sign, one for text line) or same kind of
array (ala if(osd[y].w>0) drawsub(osd[y].x,y,...)

I will discuss the negotiation, pp, covert in later
mail, but these fuctionality must be added by libvo2
core library.

Just one remind, the query_format should return not
only IMGFMT, but also and HW capabilities like scale,
subtitles, direct surface, etc. I think that returning
pointer to array of formats descriptions is ok, as
this array may be inititlized on vo2_init_* time.
imfmtInfo * query(...);

btw. I would be happy if in the coments of libvo2 the
word buffer have one meaning. Now it is used as memory
buffer and as video surface. Once upon a time, the
phrase double buffer mean one buffer in memory before
making copy to video ram. Now in mplayer double buffer
means to have 2 buffers in video ram and to flip them.

oh, there is and mix of temp static frame buffer ;)
Making thinks clear will help every body.

   Best Regards
Ivan Kalvachev