[MPlayer-dev-eng] libvo2: an idea I spawned yesterday

David Holm dholm at telia.com
Tue Nov 13 06:02:13 CET 2001

Hello again,
I spawned a new idea yesterday in bed which would need some cooperation
with the rest of the mplayer dev-team. This is the possibility of using
multiple vo2_ devices (I'll explain why).
Alot of these hardware cards have fast hwscalers, hwpxlconverters and a
ton of other features (not to forget alot of features thanks to opengl
(in concern to nvidia and their closed source, excellent support license).
Is it possible, and interesting, to specify -vo <my_device> and then
mplayer queries any other devices for their capabilites of doing things
in hardware (one thing I was planning was a call to check whether device
X is actually in the machine, perhaps not implementable on all hardware,
but then it could be solved in another way. The user shouldn't be
concerned with this, only with chosing the output plugin he wants,
nothing else... (Arpi, haven't read your prior vo2 post yet, perhaps
it's mentioned there, I'm gonna read it right now).

//David Holm