[MPlayer-dev-eng] -vo mga quiestions

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Nov 12 20:05:38 CET 2001

Hi,

> > > Currently I'm working on radeon_vid driver.
> > > It's already in pre-alpha stage and maybe soon I'll
> > > commit this stuff.
> > >
> > > But I have some quiestions:
> > >
> > > -What about mga_vid2?
> > > (I mean that mplayer should pass more parameters to driver
> > > and can query driver about some features - like supported formats and so on
> > > In addition it would be possible to implement hw acceleration of subtitles
> > > and much more)
> > hmm. as currently only mga_vid is working, it has no sense. if more drivers
> > come like your radeon_vid and my ati_vid (or is hould change name then to
> > mach64_vid) it has some sense. btw we should keep current interface, and add
> yes - because ATI is name of firm but not chipset ;)
yes and mga means matrox graphic adapter :)

> > soem new ioctls to query supported formats.
> >
> Agree
> > > -Where are primary location of mga_vid and sis_vid drivers?
> > in source tree? drivers/*
> > installed i dunno, maybe at the lib/modules/*/misc
> >
> I meant that they author is Aaron Holtzman. Did he participate with mplayer in the past?
no. he made it for mpeg2dec maybe. but didn't maintained for a very long
time. i picked it up and added some features like double.triple buffering,
yuy2 support etc.

> > > Could someone (probably Arpi) explain me logic of -vo mga?
> > what logic? it simply enables non-colorkeyed overlay at 0,0 position at dest
> > w/h size.
> >
> I'm ready to add colorkey support, but I don't know what is it.
maskink overlay pixels by a given color of background.

> Radeon supports also:
> brightness saturation control
> gamma correction
> deinterlace pattern !!!
> video key control

> > > (Currently I have matrix from 20 images which are tiled on screen
> > > (matrix 5x4). All images are changed synchronously :( ?
> > strange. maybe you have problems with stride.
> > note that -vo mga uses 32 byte align at each line (mga hw limitation)
> >
> > > Does -vo mga support -zoom or -fs -zoom options
> > no
> >
> But why it's named BES?
back end scaler

> I've spend a lot of my time to program SCALER :(
it's hardware

> > > (My tracing shows me that mga_config has dest_width(heihgt) == src_width(height)
> > > with any combinations of those keys).
> > >
> > > - Is IMGFMT_IYUV == FOURCC_YUV12 or FOURCC_YUV09 ?
> > IYUV==I420 and it's the same as YV12 but U V planes swapped.
> >
> > i don't know about any hw which supports YUV9.
> >
> Radeon VE ;)
cool. then it's ready for direct indeo and sorenson support :)
(indeo and sorenson uses yuv9 as internal format)