[MPlayer-dev-eng] "Convert your AVI/VOB/FooBar to DivX4 + VBR MP3" ????

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Nov 10 12:06:30 CET 2001

Hi,

> It seems that you guys don't realize what has happened to DivX 4.
> So let me explain.
>
> About 9 months ago, Project Mayo opened the OpenDivX project, claiming
> that it is an open source project.
> So Project Mayo gained a lot of free publicity and volunteers.
> But a few months ago, Project Mayo suddenly closed the CVS, stole the
> code the volunteers have written, and release their own proprietary DivX
> 4 codec.
> With other words: all those volunteers have been deceived!
>
> Really, I don't understand why you guys are supporting such dirty and
> unfair actions.
> Could you explain, or is it just because you don't know about it, or is
> it because you don't care about other people being deceived?

I know it well, I also did patches for opendivx (the open one).
And everyone could read the license, before sending patches... btw they
didn't accept any patches because the license limitations.

And don't ask to not support something just because something happened.
Then we shouldn't support old divx because it was a crack, asf because it's
not open, vivo because it's old etc etc. We support everythink which is
possible. I heard from Gruel that open version of opendivx will come soon
with something new codec, we will support it _too_.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu