[MPlayer-dev-eng] cvs-howto.txt

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Nov 6 22:53:59 CET 2001

Hi,

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 11:28:35PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > no. it was right. you can't rename files in cvs tree. you just can delete
> > and re-add files, but it is not renaming. only cvs server admin can do that
> > on the server. it's me or lgb, so ask us. i would be happy if cvs users
> > could do that, but it's a cvs limitation :(
>
> BTW, Arpi, please enlighten me how it should be done on the server :) to

ssh to teh server
became root (maybe not required, but i think yes)
go to /var/cvsroot/ and move/rename  filename,v  file

btw it's explained in cvs's RTFM.

> be able to help users if someone may asks me. BTW#2, some interface would
> be constructed to be able to issue a renaming by a cvs user too (some script,
> but I can't do it, since I don't know how this works ...)
hmm. good idea.
it could be added to cvssh, like:

ssh user at mplayerhq.hu 'mv /cvsroot/ize.c,v /cvsroot/newdir/newname.c,v'
just allow using mv and make it suid root :)
so users could commit new passwd file to cvs and do mv to /etc/passwd :)))

btw, there was a similar security hole at SF. they allowed commiting to cvs
config directory, and you could force cvs to execute arbitrary programs :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu