[MPlayer-dev-eng] About the future - libvo2...

David Holm dholm at telia.com
Tue Nov 6 14:34:58 CET 2001

Arpi wrote:

>Hi,
>
>>>- osd/subtitles thing
>>>
>>I think OSD/Subtitle support should be queried...
>>The DXR3 has subpicture support which would be perfect for handling
>>this, other drivers that don't need to handle it should receive a stream
>>with the OSD/Subtitle already applied, instead of the driver developer
>>coding a draw_alpha, since most drivers except the hardware ones most
>>probably will just convert it to the surface format used.
>>

>Agree. Same for DVB card, and also matrox G400 crtc2 and opengl.
>They all are able to display transparent overlay images.
>
>>Also, there should be a global yuv2rgb rgb2yuv library, it's not funny
>>to implement conversion routines over and over again, and say I need
>>BGR24->Yuv420p(ffmpeg), instead of implementing it in my device I would
>>add it to rgb2yuv so the next guy who needs it won't have to do it.
>>
>Yes. Michael done a good job with this. Almost all converters and scalers
>are ready to use.
>The best would be:
>A general library which provides an init and convert function, init sets
>surface sizes and colorspaces (and does internal stuff of converters, like
>building tables, convert palette etc) and a convert function which does the
>actual conversion/scaling. It should have an option to choose between speed
>and quality.
>
>>Also, don't you think the best solution would be if the libvo2 device
>>told mplayer which formats it support and then mplayer handle pixel
>>conversion as needed... one bonus of this is that people won't implement
>>their own (perhaps) slow conversion routines just to get their device
>>working and then forget about asm 3dnow/sse etc optimization.
>>

>no. my plan:
>video codec -> libvo2 core -> libvo2 driver
>
>libvo2 core will contain all scaling, conversion etc routine, it will query
>codecs and vo drivers for supported features and calculates the best
>buffering method and conversion, allowing overrides by user.

ok, this is kinda what I meant... I didn't know there was a libvo2 core,
I haven't looked at is much since you told me that is was far from
finished...

>>Something else, if possible libvo2 should be queried whether it wants
>>mplayer to scale the codec output or not... Most devices surely wants
>>
>mplayer won't do scaling and such thing. i want to left mplayer out of this.

That makes sense, especially since lots of hardware actually have
hw-scaling these days...

>>output scaled to the used resolution, but hardware devices might do that
>>automatically (like the dxr3)
>>
>>I would be happy to start a conversion of dxr3 to libvo2 still keeping
>>the libvo version current for normal users. I love MPlayer and would do
>>anything to benefit it's development.
>>
>>I also have another request, when libvo2 is complete and all devices has
>>been converted, can't it be renamed to libvo as well as renaming libao2
>>to libao??
>>
>why should it be renamed? i see no sense of it. they are different API,
>shouldn't have the same name.

since they are compiled into MPlayer and not loaded as devices I only
see it as confusing with libao2 (and libvo2 when libvo will no longer
exist), and I get flashbacks to the old and FREQUENT question "What
happened to MPEG-3?"

>btw. about libao2... it also need some development. the control() interface,
>resampling, sample format conversion is not implemented at all.
>
>>>- handling input events (key, mouse events (mouse is required for dvd menus))
>>>
>>A mouse shouldn't be required, most "normal" dvd's have just arrow keys
>>on their remotes you know ;)...
>>
>i don't have normal dvds :)
>but i thought they have trackball as some new video recorders :)

still, I would prefer if it would work perfectly with just lirc...