[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [Dxr3-devel] Best, supported, TV-out chip as generic framebuffer?

Rick Haines rick at kuroyi.net
Sun Nov 4 05:48:18 CET 2001

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 03:20:24PM -0800, Neologism wrote:
> On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 08:10, David Holm wrote:
> > Check dxr3.sourceforge.net to see what cards are supported.
>
> Okay, I just scoured dxr3.sourceforge.net and couldn't find any
> information about which cards will or will not work with the generic
> framebuffer support in your MPlayer patch (which, I understand, is
> fairly recent functionality for the dxr3 project).  From this I assume
> that all of the cards being used with the dxr3 project will support the
> patch.

There is no known way to access the buffers on the dxr3 hardware.  The
stuff that looks like a generic framebuffer just encodes the video into
a loosly compressed mpeg stream and sends it to the card.

Maybe if we knew the machine code that the microcode uses..

> Reading your own documentation I see that the dxr3 uses the bt865 chip
> instead of the adv717* for the TV-out.  Does anyone have a sense of
> which is the higher quality?  How about the VideoLogic board, anyone
> know what it uses?  My whole reason for wanting to purchase one of these
> cards is to get the highest Linux-supported TV-out quality I can.  The
> NetStream2000 has component outs (ooooooo!) in addition to S-Video.  Any
> sense of whether we can utilize undocumented generic framebuffer support
> on it as well?

I believe the adv7175a is considered the highest quality.  Component
output can be activated on this chip (although the driver doesn't do
this yet) but you need a special cable to use it.  I don't know which
boards use which tv encoder chips.  (As a side note, it looks like the
em8400 has an integrated tv encoder).  I don't know if I'd use an mpeg
decoder for generic tv output, but if it works..