[MPlayer-dev-eng] DXR3/H+ plugins for MPlayer pre-beta release, need feedback!

David Holm dholm at telia.com
Thu Nov 1 23:57:36 CET 2001

Hi,
here are the plugins we have all been waiting for, dxr3/hollywood+
support for MPlayer.
This is the pre-beta release (I need some feedback) which currently
plays mpeg-(1/2) hardware accelerated and divx (or any other codec
support YV12 output) non-hw accelerated.

There are lots of notes to take into account here to get it working as
it should and I hope I won't miss any of them:
1. edit your codecs.conf file and make sure that videocodec mpegpes is
listed before videocodec mpeg12, otherwise mpeg-(1/2) will be decoded in
software and not hardware
2. to be able to play YV12 formats (including divx) you must have ffmpeg
(http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/) installed as a shared library (download
ffmpeg and run ./configure --enable-shared) and _NOT_ as
mplayer/libavcodec, I think libavcodec has been broken because it
doesn't work with -vo mpegpes either... so remember NO libavcodec, BUT
libffmpeg.so!! otherwise no divx. Another thing, divx playback seems to
default to msmpeg4 or something like that, so you might (most probably)
have to add "-vc odivx" since that one supports YV12 output, read
through the codecs.conf any videocodec that has out YV12 will work
3. tv-out only so far
4. I need benchmarks, and I don't mean numbers, tell me your computer
setup and if divx's (primarily) is running at an acceptable speed or
whatever (it's possible to edit the quality of the output to speed up
software codec's, but I'm waiting for MPlayer (and especially the gui)
to come up with a working config-system, hey, when are we going to be
able to use the plugin configure buttons in the gui?!
5. "-vo dxr3" will use the dxr3 for video output and use your default
audio output option for audio, there is however a "-ao dxr3", but I have
no idea how well this is working, if at all (haven't had the opportunity
to test it), so please send me tons of feedback on that, if it doesn't
work just use "-ao oss" or whatever until I fix it...
6. both patches are against current cvs versions (2001-11-01) of both
mplayer and em8300. you will need both patches to successfully compile
mplayer.

I'm currently working on adding support for more codec outputs, so don't
worry if movie type X doesn't play yet (let me know though so I can add
support for that codec faster)

Message to every developer out there, I would do ANYTHING for an actual
working realmedia codec, there is an sdk located here:
http://proforma.real.com/rnforms/resources/server/realsystemsdk/index.html
which will enable someone to actually do this (you will also need to
have the latest realplayer installed since it's using closed source
lib's from there) Please, please, PLEASE someone take this project
on..... (postprocessing of realvideo would be great....)

Note to em8300 cvs maintainer and mplayer cvs maintainer:

There is no need to add the mplayer patch to cvs unless you really want
to, as I said, this is a pre-beta, I have no way of successfully testing
the drivers at home since there is something fucked up with my video
output... need feedback to make sure everything is perfect. also,
mplayer developers, give me a working gui-configure interface
(libvo->query_options() etc) there are lots and lots of interesting
options to be added... especially for those with slower computers...
another thing, unlock that lame, avi, asf, mov, mpg playing restriction,
it's supposed to be a media player, I wan't to play my mp3's ogg's wma's
etc too!!

em8300 maintainer, pretty please add my patch to the cvs =)... those two
features are very useful when playing audio, keep up the good work.

//David Holm <dholm at iname.com>