[Mplayer-dev-eng] Support for --prefix switch

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed May 30 21:47:06 CEST 2001

Hi,

> It's the Question that drives us, André Dahlqvist :
> > That also means you have to be root to install mplayer.
> Why?
>
> strip mplayer
> cp mplayer ~/bin
yes. btw --prefix really needed. anyone want to fix it?

> Also RTFM : MPlayer is STRONGLY discouraged to be use on multiuser server.
this applies only to SUID-root mplayer binary!
non-suid mplayer has no security risks.
at least not yet buffer overflows found in it :)

btw it is possible! people can cerate malformed avi/asf/mpg files
which maybe gets some buffer overflows in mplayer. this way poeople
can get user access on a machine where someone downloaded and played
these files. but leave this for the future, we need some advertisments
on BugTraq too :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu