[Mplayer-dev-eng] MPlayer for IRIX

Gernot Ziegler gz at lysator.liu.se
Mon May 14 12:44:40 CEST 2001

Hej !

> Well, it might be a start to seperate IRIX (e.g. sound?) from non-IRIX
> (e.g. mpeg2dec?) parts. One problem with porting MPlayer (I think) is, that
> everything is mixed somehow. That is fine for speed of course, but I think
> most IRIX machines are now fast enough to decode realtime even without speed
> hacks. Also, the IRIX compiler is soooooo great ;-)
well, it's not too mixed (there are libraries for the main functions), but
the code has not defined them out if they can't be used .. (e g OSS) ...
but that was never intended, either, it works well on the Intel
architecture :-)

Regarding sound: I won't use the IRIX sound (the machine has no audio
cables), but instead stream the sound (either uncompressed over
compressed, depending on the capabilities of rplayd) over the network,
using Rplayd (rplay.doit.org)

Servus,
  Gernot

T                 The Austria <=> Sweden connection.....                 T
O                Homepage: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz                 E