[Mplayer-dev-eng] MPlayer for IRIX

Gernot Ziegler gz at lysator.liu.se
Mon May 14 11:16:46 CEST 2001

Hej Christoph !

> first, I have to admit, that I couldn't find any IRIX player in ad-hoc search.
> The mtv here is commercial :-(
Hehe, I knew that ;) ... I have only heard that the digital Media-SDK
supports MPEG (MPEG 1 ?), but I have never investigated it ... maybe
should do that *checks webpages* well,
http://www.sgi.com/developers/devtools/apis/digitalmedia.html
is not really "talkative", to be honest ...

*checking Insight, SGIs doc system*
The Movie File Library provides a uniform interface to movies of various
formats and lets you convert movies from one format to another. Currently,
the Movie Library supports the following file formats:

 . Apple® Computer QuickTimeä movie format, including
uncompressed data, and JPEG, Indeo®, Cinepak®, Apple
Animation, and Apple Video, compression

 . Microsoft® audio-video interleaved (AVI) format, including
uncompressed data, and JPEG, Indeo, and Cinepak compression

 . Silicon Graphics movie format

 . MPEG-1 systems and video bitstreams
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ha, gotcha ! No MPEG2 here, not ! ;)

> So if you really want to work on a mpg12player (Mplayer?) port, how about a
> all-UN*X version, with lowlevel extensions for the different systems like IRIX,
> Solaris, AIX? It's such a pity that MPlayer doesn't work that way (although
> there are very good reasons of course).
That would definitely be a reasonable long term goal - but I have to hand
in a project in 3-4 weeks that must (or: I would like to) contain a
working MPEG2-player, and therefore I won't be able to spend too much time
on it ...

> _Then_ code should finally be threaded (and thread-safe), because multi-CPU is
> very common on IRIX and other UN*Xes as well.
Well, threading is no problem for me - I have done that before ;)

> I am surely willing to test on local machines here (SUN, IRIX, parallel SUNs),
> I also have an account at a Cray, but perhaps that's not target of first choise
> ;-)
Na, although I am developing that on NSC's machines (www.nsc.liu.se, and
the computer is www.nsc.liu.se/lustig, to be exact ;) ), and they would
certainly have a Cray available, but I don't think that's what they would
like to have running on their Cray :-} ;)

> I can also do a little work on the Solaris-parts (Sun-Video-Lib e.g.)
But: MPlayer was already supporting MLib, I thought ?
But sure, you're welcome ! _Everyone_ that is interested is welcome to
join, of course ! :-)

> gruel (the german <-> swedisch connection)
Ah, interesting ! Seems like the German speaking computer science
students have a favor for sticking to Sweden - I am from Austria, have
been studying here in Linköping for the last... erm ... four (four !?!?
Time goes) ... years :-)

good, so long - back to hacking :-)

Servus,
  Gernot

T                 The Austria <=> Sweden connection.....                 T
O                Homepage: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz                 E