[Mplayer-dev-eng] release 0.18...

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sat May 5 19:56:25 CEST 2001

Hello!

On Sat, 5 May 2001 15:36:33 +0200 (CEST), Arpi wrote:

>> >Requirements:
>> >- all known bugs fixed - see Known Bugs second update on mplayer-users
>> >  1. l3codeca - solved (kernel patch problems, not mplayer bug)
>> >  2. fastmemcpy SIGILL problems - SSe disabled but there are still probs
>> IMHO, they are in kernel only ;)
>Seems to independent from kernel version. But I'll write a summary to
>mpayer-users, to collect some more info about these strange bugs.

Well, but you should ask their what binutils they have, and what compiler
was used for compilation of kernel, libc, X11 and mplayer.
I already quoted to Felix one message from mailing-list of linuxassembly.org,
but now want to quote it for all:
# a few days ago I wrote an email message asking for help on segmentation fault in libc compilation.
# The problem was binutils package: in fact, it works fine with bu 2.10.1 and it does not work with but
# 2.10.1.0.4 (latest stable).
# So I resolved my problem by down-grading the binutils package :-)
# Thanks to mr Konstantin Bold and Nick Kurshev for their help.
# I hope you will find this useful for further discussion,

>> >  3. MMX YV12->RGB 16bpp on SMP P3 - bug should be fixed
>> Probably bug in kernel, since if code works on uniprocessor machines therefore
>> it's workable. IMHO, mplayer does not contain SMP specific features.
>> In this case you are able only find out way to avoid problem (suggestions and so on).
>But maybe we should pay attention to something to keep code working on SMP
>too. I know nothing about SMP, but there are requirements to the code.

I already replied to Andreas Ackermann that solving of this problems requires a lot of changes
(if it's truth that mplayer runs several processes on separate cpus)

>> Also (from DOCS/BUGS):
>> #After many > or ^ (fast forward) audio vs. video is going out of sync (ASF/AVI)
>> #- bug in mplayer code (a-v sync probs after seek... not really bug but
>> #  my avi/asf seeking code is not perfect yet)
>>
>> This problem exists on DivX files too (imho AVI != DivX )
>heh?
>DivX is a codec. AVI is a file format.
>divx-coded files are avi or asf file format, so the above thing is true
>for divx too.

I mean that AVI is not always DivX, it may contain even MPEG-1. It's data medium only.

>> Also, I had publish announce on linux.org.ru about releasing 0.17. There are a lot of commentaries
>> but one seems me as very strange:
>> Man wrote that after installing of mplayer it shows turned upside-down pictures (turned on 180
>> relatively Z-axis). Imho it may be interesting for you.
>Known problem of the Indeo 3.x and 4.x codecs.
>(and maybe ASV2 codecs in RGB mode)

THANKS!!!

Best regards! Nick