[Mplayer-dev-eng] libvo changes - libxmm stage #1

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue May 1 22:04:15 CEST 2001

Hi,

As I promised earlier, we'll change to libxmm after the release.
Yes, the release has been done, but I want a re-release (0.17b) as
soon as possible, with the 3 known fatal bugs (see mail on mplayer-users)
fixed.

I don't want to change to libxmm in a single step - it makes mplayer useless
for long weeks and makes much work for you, libvo developers.

First I'll apply some changes to current libvo PI. It will be very usefull,
and makes it very similar to libxmm API. Then everyone can modify his
libvo parts, and finally we remove old parameters, functions and rename
libvo to libxmm :)

I want to collect requirements of new libvo/libxmm API.
Current libxmm has a good thing: Control(). It's very similar to
kernel's ioctl(), you can pass and get special parameters form drivers,
without modifying all drivers for each new option.

So I'll first add this to libvo API.
So please tell me what special parameters you need to pass/get to/from libvo
drivers. I mean:
- get current screen resolution (usefull for -aspect)
- query ability to: hw zoom, sw zoom, bpp change, resolution change etc...
- integrate query_format() to Control()
- get image buffer(s) for direct draw/render (instead of decode+memcpy)

Main functions of libxmm API:
init() - called after loading vo plugin
         it should initialize vo device and get it's current parameters,
         abilityes (supported resolutions of svgalib etc)
start() - called when start playing a movie. it will get image dimensions
          and pixel format
draw()  - draw a single frame of subimage/slice or OSD/sub overlay
          (it has image plane pointers, strides, and flags)
blit()  - to do page flipping for double buffering etc.
control() - to get/set/query features, parameters

I think, this interface will be easily extendable and more usefull than
current libvo API.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu