[Mplayer-dev-eng] Fwd: ffmpeg & MSMPEG4

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jun 28 02:16:25 CEST 2001

Hi,

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:52:58PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I worked a lot on ffmpeg during the last few days. Now the video
> > encoder core can be used as a decoder too. It supports now H263, MPEG4
> > and MSMPEG4 V3. It means that it is now possible to decode (or encode)
> > divx movies without relying of the Windows DLL :-)
>
> Wait a minute!! Is there any open source DivX encoder available?
Of course NOT yet (except this)

> How was it written? It's m$ or what?
He is expert of mpeg en/decoding. he simply analized DivX avi files
and find the meaning of the bits. It seems to weird, but not impossible.
At least I did the same with lossless archivers at the time of writting ESP
(I was able to unpack ZIP and RAR files without having rar sources)
If you spent half year debugging compressor/decompressor by watching binary
dump (or hexdump) then you'll understand output of similar compressors too,
and you'll be able to modify your decoder to understand it.

> AND: the source is GNU/GPL?
It's LGPL

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu