[Mplayer-dev-eng] asf streaming playback from a mms server

Balazs Tibor tibcu at sch.bme.hu
Fri Jun 22 16:29:55 CEST 2001

Hi Roy!

> hey thanks for those tips,

:-)

> But here is the catch. I don't want to download the
> whole asf file to disk. I want it to stream to the
> standard output so that I can pipe it into mplayer.

If I know well, asfrecodrer can't send the stream to stdout only to a
file.

But there's a trick :-)

1. create a fifo (man fifo)
2. create a symlink to this fifo in the directory where you want to run
asfrecorder and name this link as the filename in the URL
3. run
asfrecorder URL >/dev/null &
in that dir where you created the symlink
4. run
cat the_name_of_the_symlink | mplayer -vo yourfavouritevo -

an there you are :-)

NOTE: there IS a - mark at the and of commandline (it's the filename)

(maybe you have to kill asfrecorder if you quit mplayer before the end of
the stream)

(if you quited once from mplayer you wouldn't be able to start it again
before killing asfrecorder)

(and you can't seek forward or backward, pausing also won't work, but you
still can stop mplayer process with ctrl-z and continue it with fg)

NOTE2: if URL doesn't contain the real filename, first run asfrecorder
URL, see what the filename will be, delete it, then create the link

It WORKED for me! :-)

Good Luck
Tibcu