[Mplayer-dev-eng] x11 vs. dga

Andreas Ackermann (Acki) asackerm at stud.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Jun 18 18:35:12 CEST 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Balazs Tibor wrote:

Hi Tibor!
> Hi Acki!
>
> > Hi Balazs,
>
> Still Tibor :-)
> (Balázs is my surname - yes I know, Hungarians are crazy ;-) )
Sorry, but I know the Chineese are doing it the same way ... :-)

> If you are interested in some test results (-benchmark) (they're really
> interesting at least for me), I'll post them to the list tomorrow or
> better upload them to incoming. (A'rpi, is incoming still at thot?)

Would be nice ....

> > By default it is off (this unfortunately also disables OSD in the DGA
>
> Good, so I don't have to specify osdlevel 0 :)
>
> > driver, sorry, but it would flicker like hell if I did it anyway !!!).
>
> but pressing 'o' still works, doesn't it? (just to see the position where
> I am actually)

No, this shouldn't work ... OSD is disabled once and for all when there's
no doublebuffering ...

> Could you give me some megs of this file? (for testing purpose naturally)

Sorry, I'm behind a firewall and uploading things to a ftp-server is
always a lot of work ... (copying to some location with a real IP ...)

> I've got no terminal attached to my computer :-(
My good old Amiga 4000 :-))))

> > bpp. For convenience the above values with -bpp 32: (the X11 driver
> > ignores the -bpp switch, so its output is listed only once ...)
>
> ?? -- -bpp 16 doesn'r work for you?
Of course, but once X is running, -vo x11 -bpp 15 won't switch to 15
bits depth ... and as I'm a lazy guy I didn't want to stop the X-Server
... You know with XFree 4.0.x you can switch resolution on the fly ... :-)
(at least for -vo dga :-)))) )

> Yes, -bpp 15 can be a great help,
> I used -vo dga /cdrom/Sunday1.avi -v -osdlevel 0 -bpp 15 to be able to
> watch it fluently. (X running in 16 bpp) (X3.3.6)
> without -bpp 15 (so actually 16 bpp) it was so slow
>
> I don't understand this, because it says:
> vo_dga: Mode: depth=15, bpp=16, r=007c00, g=0003e0, b=00001f, conversion (slow), (-bpp 15)
> vo_dga: Mode: depth=16, bpp=16, r=00f800, g=0007e0, b=00001f, native (fast), (-bpp 16) ...disabled by -bpp 15
> So I believed that using -bpp 15 will slower the things, but fortunately
> the contrary happened :-)

Hmmm, the actual copying should be (a little) faster for the native mode,
but seems the divx decoder is much slower when producing 16 bit output ...

Because in native modes, I just do a memcopy() and when doing conversion
there is much more to be done ...

Bye

-Acki