[Mplayer-dev-eng] x11 vs. dga

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jun 14 22:46:30 CEST 2001

Hi,

> finally I got some time to take a closer look at the DGA speed problem and
> got a shocking result:
>
> Due to using Doublebuffering the X Server takes away 20% of CPU time on my
> K6-2 500!!!!!!
>
> I'm using the XDGASetViewport() which simply should make the video
> hardware start fetching its data from a different memory location than in
> the current frame, not a big deal, should be done by setting some
> hw-registers. I don't know what the hell is going on here ...
>
> So only thing seems to be disabling doublebuffering, but this would mean
> no more OSD support ... Cause with the current concept there's only two
> buffers I have:
> The one that is used for decoding - I better shouldn't draw the OSD there,
> since in this buffer only changes to next frame are updated. And I can't
> draw the OSD in the framebuffer after copying the imagedata since the gap
> is too big, sesulting in flickering effects ... I'd have to use a copy
> routine that includes alpha-drawing ...
>
> Any ideas how to handle this ????
We should add an option to switch double buffering onoff. Also usefull for
Xv.

Add an option called -double, setting up a global int vo_double.
It should be 0 or 1 by default?

And after the 0.18 release we'll change libvo a lot, so it will be solved.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu