[Mplayer-dev-eng] x11 vs. dga

Andreas Ackermann (Acki) asackerm at stud.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Jun 14 20:23:13 CEST 2001

Hi,

finally I got some time to take a closer look at the DGA speed problem and
got a shocking result:

Due to using Doublebuffering the X Server takes away 20% of CPU time on my
K6-2 500!!!!!!

I'm using the XDGASetViewport() which simply should make the video
hardware start fetching its data from a different memory location than in
the current frame, not a big deal, should be done by setting some
hw-registers. I don't know what the hell is going on here ...

So only thing seems to be disabling doublebuffering, but this would mean
no more OSD support ... Cause with the current concept there's only two
buffers I have:
The one that is used for decoding - I better shouldn't draw the OSD there,
since in this buffer only changes to next frame are updated. And I can't
draw the OSD in the framebuffer after copying the imagedata since the gap
is too big, sesulting in flickering effects ... I'd have to use a copy
routine that includes alpha-drawing ...

Any ideas how to handle this ????

Bye

 -Andreas
        http://www.acki-netz.de  email: acki at acki-netz.de
   //   (+49)[0]9131/409500 or (+49)[0]9286/6399
 \X/    acki or acki2 on #rommelwood

   No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However
     a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.