[Mplayer-dev-eng] Version number

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Tue Jun 5 11:26:58 CEST 2001

>I thought that stability is main criterion of non zero Major version number.
>All bugreports about crashing of mplayer are, in general, from gcc-2.96 users.
>ToDo list and stability are difference things. If project works it should be
realsed
>as stable to be usable by other peoples (not only by developers and testers)
>IMHO in mplayer now are fixed very serious bugs and its version should be
incremented
>at least up to 0.50.
>0.18 would be appropriately 3 weeks ago, but not now.

Even without gcc-2.96 there are still problems with crashing codecs though. A
version called 1.0 should not crash, when a file is broken (or the corresponding
codec crashes), but print a (useful) message and exit. After all, this is not
windows ;-)

gruel

--
Dipl. math. Christoph Lampert (complex analysis, integral formulae)
Email: gruel at gmx.de                |     Email: lampert at math.chalmers.se