[Mplayer-dev-eng] MPEG2 support in libvo2

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sun Jul 29 23:36:15 CEST 2001

Hi, Arpi!

On 2001-07-28 15:32:45 you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> Since many video chips are able to decode mpeg1, mpeg2 streams end even
>> perform inverse direct cosine transformation (ATI only) may be it would be
>> better to add something to libvo2 to have possibility to add support of these
>> features in the future?
>Do you know any card with linux support for these?
No. Simply I guess that in the future I could add simplest mplayer's driver
(for ATI in root mode) maybe with using some ATI's RFC or other information
sources.
AFAIK - adding such features in X11 still not planed, but other OS's simply have
drivers which support such features and applications which use these drivers.
It's non standard way but acceptable for Linux.

>> I mean add to list of video surfaces something like
>> IMGFMT_MPEG2
>> IMGFMT_MPEG1
>> IMGFMT_IDCT
>> to already existed list of
>> IMGFMT_YUV2
>> IMGFMT_YV12
>> and so on
>it isn't so simple. at least the IDCT stuff.
>there was a long thread about XvMC at libmpeg2 list. Those cards are very
>limited, can do _partial_ dct and mc, but they have limits, and can't
>handle every case. and for mc, they must know the reference frames, so
>we have to pass those environmental infos to teh libvo driver.
May be - I still didn't dig out this problem in depth.

Best regards! Nick (2001-07-29 21:29:03)